Skip to main content

Daily Flossing Is Just as Important as Brushing: Here's Why

Daily Flossing Is Just as Important as Brushing: Here's Why

We know exactly what you’re going to say — you hate flossing. It may not be your favorite pastime, but that doesn’t mean you can skip it entirely.

According to the CDC’s National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, barely 30% of adults floss daily. And the other 70%? Approximately 37% said they floss less than daily, and 32% reported never flossing at all. 

Now, if you think 30% sounds higher than you’d expect, you may be right. The American Dental Association reports that most dentists initially assumed the number of daily flossers to be much lower, perhaps less than 10%.

At the end of the day, the exact numbers don’t matter. Instead, they reveal a startling fact — not nearly enough people are flossing. And if you’re getting scolded for not flossing every time you get a professional cleaning, you need to know your dentist has your best interest at heart. 

Flossing plays a key role in keeping your mouth and teeth healthy. In fact, it’s been shown to prevent tooth loss and decay. While it certainly may not top your list as the most fun or easiest task to add to your morning or nightly routine, taking a few minutes to floss each day could make a world of difference down the road.

Do you want to take your oral health to the next level? Come see us at Healthy Smile Dental in Woodridge, Illinois. Hannah Baek, DDS, and our team can make sure you receive the excellent dental care you deserve. Whether you need a simple cleaning, teeth whitening, crowns and bridges, or emergency services, Dr. Baek has you covered. 

The basics of good oral hygiene

If you think brushing twice a day is a big part of good oral hygiene, you’re on the right track! However, it’s only the beginning. Good oral hygiene practices also require daily flossing, good nutrition, and seeing your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings.

Dr. Baek understands that it’s easy to slack off with these habits in the hustle and bustle of daily life, especially when it comes to flossing and making appointments for regular checkups. But the time you spend flossing will all be worth it when you consider the consequences of dental problems later in life. 

Good oral hygiene is also a vital component of the following:

Plus, practicing good oral hygiene minimizes bad breath.

Flossing is good for your teeth and gums

Brushing your teeth serves two main functions. First, it removes plaque that accumulates from the food you’ve eaten. It also clears debris left behind after chewing and swallowing. 

Toothbrushes are great tools for cleaning the easy-to-reach surfaces in your mouth. However, their small bristles often can’t get between your teeth. That’s where flossing comes in.

When you don’t floss, plaque — a sticky biofilm made of bacteria — can sit between your teeth. But that’s not all. Food debris, also teeming with bacteria, gets to hang out too. When ignored, these bacteria attack your tooth enamel, wearing it down. Bacteria can also hurt your gums. 

Passing on that dental floss increases your chances for many different ailments, including:

Finally, not flossing increases your risk of tartar buildup, a lead cause of receding gums and gum disease.

Flossing becomes a breeze

There’s good news — it’s never too late to start flossing. It can yield results no matter your age. And it gets easier the more times you do it.

Non-flossers often complain about blood. That’s because your gums are tender, so they typically bleed the first few times you floss. However, this goes away after a few days for almost everyone who starts flossing regularly. And the same goes for any pain you may feel.

On top of that, you may also notice that your teeth look whiter and healthier after you start flossing. But best of all, you get better and faster at the task the more you do it. And you can probably agree, the faster you get at flossing, the easier it is to add to your nightly routine.

Are you ready for superior dental care? It’s time for a visit with Dr. Baek at Healthy Smile Dental. Call our office at 630-910-1900 or send a message today. 

You Might Also Enjoy...

Myths and Facts About Root Canal Therapy

Root canals are critical to avoiding tooth loss and maintaining a beautiful smile, but they’re often the most misunderstood procedures. Here, we dispel a few of the most common myths.